Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A little something to warm you up...

Last night I came home from work and started getting everything ready for this meal. When Tim got home, he came in the kitchen and asked if he could help me. (He knew I had a headache so he wanted to help me. My sweet little husband) I needed milk for my muffins and my soup so I went to the fridge and prayed I had enough for the recipe. I had just enough! I put 1 cup in a container for Tim (the muffin man) and poured out 2 cups for me (soup lady). I was waiting for the soup to boil so I decided to help Tim with the muffins. I was stirring the dry ingredients then Tim asked me if I was ready for the egg/milk mixture. I looked up and thought MAN that looks like way more than 1 cup of milk. It was... Tim had poured the 1 cup plus my 2 cups of milk in with the 1 egg. All I could do was laugh. I was so grateful he was helping me so I wasnt going to be mean so I just laughed. He first tried to say I didnt explain things well enough (of course he would blame me, its a man thing) then I said it doesnt matter. Now put your shoes on and go get me some milk :) He had on shorts and his houseshoes but quickly got dressed and got me some milk. It was a long night, but we had a great dinner. It was also the first time I had ever made muffins (any bread for that matter) from scratch.

Ham and Potato Soup with Cheese Muffins
3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
1/3 cup diced celery
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup diced cooked ham
3 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper
5 tablespoons butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups milk


Combine the potatoes, celery, onion, ham and water in a stockpot. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the chicken bouillon, salt and pepper.
In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour with a fork, and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form until all of the milk has been added. Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, 4 to 5 minutes.
Stir the milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through. Serve immediately.

NOTE: I browned the onion and ham first, but it tastes fine if you dont do this.
I made it with Italian sausage last night and it was very good!!

Cheese Muffins-- This is from one of my Paula Deen cookbooks.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted (1/2 stick)
3 cups shredded Cheddar cheese (its best to grate it yourself but its fine to buy it already shredded)


Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt ( just put it in a strainer you drain noodles with and shake it into a bowl. I guess this makes it fluffier or something. dont really know the reason for sifting) Now add cheese and make sure all pieces are covered with the flour mixture. In a separate bowl lightly beat the egg then add the milk. Mix together then add to the dry ingredients. Then add butter.
Now scoop the mixture into muffin cups and bake in a preheated 350 oven for 15-20 minutes. Let them cool for about 20 minutes. If you try to eat them too quick they stick to the cups.

No comments: